jueves, 7 de marzo de 2013

Week 11 – Functions

from Spanish – A Complete Course For Beginners p.121

TRANSLATION VIII
*I first translated this from the Spanish, below it is the translation back into English for extra pracitce.

    A algunas personas les entusiasma escribir cartas. Yo lo detesto, especialmente cuando estoy en vacaciones. Pero a pesar de todo [eso] tuve (T) que avisar a mis padres com me encontraba. Pues compré (WO) unas/algunas tarjetas postales antes de salir de Tarragona. Cuando se nececitan sellos en España es muy raro que se tenga que ir la oficina de Correos. Se pueden comprar en cafés y hoteles.
    De volver/regreso a Barcelona le pregunté al propriator?-ario del hotel cuanto costó?(T) mandar un postal a Inglaterra.
    'Tres pesetas cincuenta céntimos,' me respondió.
    Compré una dozena de sellos del valor requerido y rápidamente escribí unas cuantas postales.
    Después encendí un cigarillo y comencé a hacer planes. Era muy agredable(Sp) estar en Barcelona, pero al fin de una semana tenía que/debía volver a Inglaterra. Sabía que Barcelona no fue(T) una ciudad como |todo el resto en España| rephrase, y como quería ver tantos aspectos del país como pudiese, resolví [a] ir a Madrid.
    A la mañana siguiente fuí a la oficina de turismo en la Paseo de Gracia y oí al dependiente recomendar a una anciana señora que fuiera a Madrid en avión. …señora ir a Madrid…
    'Tengo mucho miedo,' le decía.
    'No hay por<>qué, señora,' le contestó. 'Nuestros pilotos son muy hábiles, los asientos son muy confortables, y las aparatos son del más moderno tipo.'
    No había pensado [en] ir volando, pero después de escuchar esta conversación la tentaciión me paracía(T) irresitable.
    'Me puede usted reservar un asiento en el avión de Madrid para mañana?' le pedí, cuando la buena señora hubo declarado que nada la induciría a dejar/abandonar el suello(Sp) terreste(Sp).
    'Le queda un asiento,' /'Solo queda un asiento, justamente,' me dijo. 'Cuesta 2,500 pesetas incluyendo el transporte de la oficina al aerodromo.'
    'Me sierve bien,' /'Esto me conviene,' le dijo. 'Me puede decir dónde puedo cambiar dinero?'
    'En la ventanilla ahí, señor.'
    'El cambio hoy es a 167 pesetas,' el empleyado me dijo(WO) cuando le pedí que me cambiara £15 en dinero español. 'Tenemos una comisión de una peseta por lo que son 166. Aquí tiene 2,490 ptas, dos billetas de 1,000 ptas, cuatro de 100 ptas, y nueve monedas 10 ptas.'

Some people like to write letters. I detest it, especially when I'm on holidays. But nevertheless I had to let my parents know how I was doing/getting on. So I bought some postcards before leaving Tarragona. When in need of stamps in Spain it is very unusual to have to go to the post office. They can be bought in the cafés and hotels.
   Upon returning to Barcelona I asked the hotel owner how much it cost to send a postcard to England.
    'Three pesetas fifty cents,' he responded.
    I bought a dozen stamps of the required value and quickly wrote some postcards.
    Afterwards I lit a cigarette and started to make plans. It was very nice to be in Barcelona, but by the end of a week I had to return to England. I knew that Barcelona was a city like none other in Spain, and as I wished to see as many aspects of the country as I might be able to, I resolved to go to Madrid.
    The following morning I went to the tourist office in the Paseo de Gracia and heard the clerk recommend an elderly woman she go to Madrid by plane.
    'I'm very frightened,' she was saying.
    'There's no need/reason to be, madam,' He answered. 'Our pilots are very skilful. The seats are very comfortable and the machines are of the most modern type.'
    I hadn't thought of going by air, but after listening to this conversation, the temptation seemed to me irresistable.
    'Can you reserve me a seat in the Madrid plane for tomorrow?' I asked, when the good lady had declared that nothing would induce her to leave ground.
    'There's just one seat left,' he told me. 'It costs 2,500 pesetas including the transport from the office to the airport.'
    'That's good for/suits me,' I said. 'Can you tell me where I can exchange money?'
    'At that window/counter, Sir.'
    'The rate today is at 167 pesetas,' the emplyee told me when I asked he change £15 into Spanish money. 'We have a comission of one peseta which leaves 166. Here you have 2490 ptas. two 1000-peseta notes, four of 100 ptas. and nine 10-peseta pieces.

 REVISION
Vocabulary :-
entusiasmar (vt) nada lo entusiasma = he never gets enthusiastic about anything; no me entusiasma mucho la idea = I'm not very keen on the idea; no logré entusiasmarla con la idea = I didn't manage to get her very excited about the idea; me entusiasmaron para que aceptara = they encouraged me to accept it.
entusiasmar(se) nunca se entusiasma con nada = he/she never gets excited about anything; se entusiasmaron con la idea = they got excited/enthusiastic about the idea; no te entusiasmes = don't get excited/carried away.
sello (estampilla) stamp
anciana elderly

 algunas v unas :-
  • algunos is more 'definite and emphatic' than unos;
  • Unas cuantas postales is stronger than unas postales and is equivalent, in this phrase, to algunas postales – but, as the author has already used algunas in the first paragraph, they want to make it clear the character writes a number of postcards less than that which he bought, by not repeating the same determiner algunas – as with in English one may say they bought 'some' postcards, and then wrote 'a few' (not 'some') – while still being more definite than unas;

había v hubo :-
  • after the commonost expressions of time i.e. cuando, despúes que, apenas, en cuanto the past definite, NOT the imperfect, of the auxiliary is required, provided that the action is repeated or habitual;
Practice :-
…le pedí, cuando la buena señora hubo declarado que nada la induciría a abandonar el suelo terrestre...
a. Tomé un asiento, finalmente, cuando el tren se hubo cerrado las puertas y salido para Mendoza.
b. Después que se hubieron ido, seguí tratando de encontrar la carta.
c. Apenas se hubo levantado, cuando alguien golpeó la puerta.
d. Abrió el presente y arrancó a llorar, en cuanto hubo entrado su padre.
  

No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario